Monday, November 28, 2011

Palindromes: A Word-Nerd's Friend


In 2009 comedian Demetri Martin published a very unique poem that circulated around the internet and thoroughly impressed a lot of people. And I must say, I am seriously jealous--not because he wrote a poem or because the poem actually became popular, but because this poem was a 224-word...



palindrome!



See, I kind of have a thing about palindromes. My fifth grade teacher Mrs. Rhymes introduced me to them with "Pam A. sees a map" and I've been hooked ever since. (By the way, isn't it apropos that her name was Mrs. Rhymes? And also by the way, I've never considered this before, but I wonder now if she was related to Busta?) Anyway, whenever I'm driving or waiting at the doctor's office without a good book to read, I try to think of palindromes. Most of them are stupid. Very few of them make sense. But the wonderful thing to remember about language is that every day we say numerous sentences that no one else has ever said or written or heard before. Isn't that great? You're so original! Every single day! So with that in mind, I'd like to think that my little gems are sentences that somewhere, somehow could actually be uttered in real human discourse. Because you never know, maybe someone really needs to ask their cats if their roommate Marc ate all their tacos….right?


So here are a few of my favorites, most of which contain names, for some reason:


1. Crap! Ned got an oil lion at Ogden Parc!


2. Rae's deer tap at Reed's ear.


3. Salad elf fled--alas!


4. Enid did dine.


5. No lava nixes sex in Avalon.


6. So cats, Marc crams tacos?


7. Wow, Olga's aglow--ow!


8. Sad? I'm not a ton, Midas.


9. Have gnus and Edna sung, Eva H.?


10. Llama deified a mall.


Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Keew lla ere eb lli. Uoy knaht, Uoy knaht!




2 comments:

  1. I was expecting this last Tuesday (a numeral palindrome, but not a palprime). Palprimes are OK, but, personally, I prefer pi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dimitri Martin has a BBC special called "If I" about palindromes.

    ReplyDelete